Open Call for Submissions
Deadline: July 26, 2019
We are currently taking pitches for short comics on the theme of ‘Gothic Futures’, tales which can be at turns romantic, violent, chilling, or sensual but in a setting that goes beyond the Victorian age, and beyond even our modern day.
Think Black Mirror meets Crimson Peak.
Ideas of settings for what we are looking for include but are not limited to:
• ghosts in the high rises of bright Chinese metropolises
• haunted hologram grids in Mexico
• a masquerade ball cloud simulation in Delhi
And not to be confined to urban human settlements, we are also interested in exploring post-world futures that reflect the past, such as:
• decayed Western Front Canada in the ruins of Calgary
• post-apocalypse living on a floating Ark on the Caspian sea
• creatures lurking in a solar mine in sub-Saharan Africa
• spaceship terror and lust on an unknown planet
• hell-born creatures lurking in global teleporters
As in our first volume, we are interested in pitches that go beyond the basics of traditional Gothic Romance themes and motifs, but are still rooted in the aesthetics and storytelling standards of this genre.
In particular, we are interested in gender, sexual, disabled and culturally diverse heroes (and villains!) We will consider stories that have elements of the past, but each story must be firmly rooted in concepts of our future.
Story rating: PG13+ (horror and sexuality encouraged, but not overly graphic)
Pitch Deadline: July 26