Sick + Twisted Theatre is seeking proposals from Deaf, disabled, mad and/or sick performers for our upcoming cabaret “Lame Is…”
Lame Is… Will confront assumptions about disability and subvert expectations. Through dance, songs, skits, spoken word, stand up, magic acts, etc we’ll celebrate our exceptional bodies and brains. We’re looking for short (3 to 10 minute) party pieces that exploit your superpowers.
Please send us:
- A brief description of the performance you’d like to work up.
- Your background in performance or other artistic disciplines (resume, CV or bio).
- Your goals for your performance: what you want the audience to experience, what you hope to learn/ develop/ explore. If this will be a springboard to something else, tell us that too!
What we offer:
- Mentorship (dramaturgical and directorial assistance) will be available to all emerging artists. We’ll help you conceptualize, develop, realize and polish your piece.
- All artists will be paid an honorarium for their participation.
- Some limited production funds will be available and rehearsal space will be provided.
Deadline for submissions is January 30, 2017.
Successful proposals will be contacted by February 20, 2017.
The performances will be on June 9 & 10.
Email your proposal to email@example.com
Lame is… is generously supported by the Winnipeg Arts Council.
Sick + Twisted is a theatre company dedicated to creating work exploring the experience of living with a disability. We create work that is risky, rigorous and innovative: an accurate reflection of the experience of living with disability. Sick + Twisted recognizes that the ability to perceive and represent complex truths through a sophisticated aesthetic in performance is not dependent on bodily perfection. Artistic excellence is achievable by artists of all abilities